24/7 Emergency Service

How to Remove Mold Odor in Your Home

How To Remove Mold Odor In Your Home

How to Remove Mold Odor in Your Home

If you can already get a whiff of mold and mildew inside your home, then you’re already in trouble. This means that there’s substantial mold growth inside your home, which can be a pain to deal with. This also means that you should act fast because this foul stench isn’t a mere nuisance for your household, and it can also pose health dangers to you and your loved ones.

How to remove mold odor in your home? Here are some of the most effective techniques that you should try immediately:

Do not attempt to mask the odor

This won’t solve the problem and will put your health at risk. They can cause allergies, asthma attacks, and lung infections if you’ve already been exposed to the fungus for a long time. Make sure to address the issue right away instead of neutralizing it.

Find the source of the moldy smell then address the problem

To get rid of the smell, you should first try to locate the source of the mold growth. Luckily, this is quite easy to do as these things love dark, warm, damp, and humid areas. If there are such locations inside your home, start there. Begin with your bathroom, basement, attic, ceiling, crawl spaces, and other spaces where you enclose plumbing pipes.

Once you’ve found where the mold growth is located, you have to remove them immediately. This is the tricky and labor-intensive part of this whole ordeal, but it can be done.

To do this, you can either use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water or a solution made of 1 part bleach and four parts water. You will need to spray the solution on the affected area and let it sit for a while before wiping the area off. Once you’ve removed the mold, you can respray the affected area to prevent them from growing back. Make sure to dry the area properly as well.

Remember to wear gloves when doing this and avoid touching other areas after. This can prevent the spores from spreading.

To further avoid the mold from regrowing, address the major cause of the infestation. If there are leaking pipes, fix them immediately. If the area is too airtight or too drafty, do something to fix the issue. Using dehumidifiers and moisture absorbers can also help minimize mold growth in your home.

If the mold odor is persistent, call us at Rescue One Restoration for an inspection, as the odor may be a clue to a larger mold problem. 

Need it Done Right?

Join our satisfied restoration customers

  • Prompt response, quality results
  • 24/7 damage repair service
  • Certified service professionals

Leave a Comment