DIY Mold Removal
Do you notice a bit of discoloration on your wall? You have to check it thoroughly, because it may not be dirt. It could be mold, and that’s not something you want to remain on your walls for a long time. Mold leads to health problems and structural issues, and if you ignore its presence it’ll spread all over your home. You have to act fast. Fortunately, getting rid of mold from walls doesn’t require a Ph.D.
Is It Mold?
If you rub it and find out it is only dust, sigh in relief. But it may also be mildew and not mold. Although quite a few online articles seem to imply that mold and mildew are basically interchangeable since they’re both fungi, that’s not entirely accurate.
If it’s mold, you may have green or black patches. More importantly, mold may penetrate the surface material (such as wood).
Mildew is milder, and it won’t require aggressive cleaning methods. The growth is flat and remains on the wall surface, and it’s easily removed.
Starting with a Mild Approach for Non-Porous Walls
Regardless of what cleaning agent you use, you should wear protective gloves. Wear old clothing and then wash them very well in hot water to kill any mold spores that get into your clothing. Make sure the area is properly ventilated, so that you don’t inhale the mold spores.
Need it Done Right?
Join our satisfied restoration customers
- Prompt response, quality results
- 24/7 damage repair service
- Certified service professionals
- You can make your own mild natural mold remover with a ¼ cup of white vinegar, 2 tablespoons of borax, and 2 cups of hot water. Stir these ingredients in a bowl until the borax dissolves.
- Put the mixture into a spray bottle, and then liberally spray on non-porous walls like painted walls or tiles.
- Scrub the wall thoroughly and then wipe it clean.
- Spray the wall again and then let it sit for 10 minutes before you wipe the wall dry.
Using Bleach and Water
When you use the mild mixture and it works, wait for two days to see if the mold comes back. If it does (or you didn’t get rid of the mold in the first place) then it’s time for the bleach method. However, you shouldn’t use bleach on the same day you also use another cleaning mixture. Bleach is a cleaning gent you never want to mix with other cleaning products. It’s just too dangerous.
- Mix ¼ cup of bleach with 2 cups of warm water.
- Put in a spray bottle and apply liberally to the wall surfaces.
- Scrub the mold off thoroughly and then wipe clean.
- If there’s still mold, reapply the cleaning mixture. Let it sit for about 15 minutes before you start scrubbing again.
If neither of these methods works, then it’s time to acknowledge that you need a professional to really get rid of the mold. This is true if you do manage to get rid of the mold yet it keeps on coming back. A professional can quickly get rid of the mold, and then they can help prevent the mold from coming back.
Call us, Rescue One Restoration, for all of your mold remediation needs!